As a parent, I realize the importance of a good morning meal to start out your day. I know breakfast is one of the most important meals you can have, and it sets the tone for your entire mental and physical state throughout the day. This is especially true for growing kids. You hear so much about the effects of a child's diet and bad eating habits which can lead to obesity and even diabetes later in life.
In my house, I always try to have various things on hand that are healthy and nutritious and my kids can grab and go if they happen to be running late in the morning. My older kids have long weekdays, with school and sports. They need to ensure they get all the nutrition and energy they need to be able to keep going throughout the day. My younger kids are both growing and learning at such a rapid pace, a healthy balanced breakfast is imperative in order to provide the nutrition necessary for the amount of energy they burn.
Children definitely learn by example, and healthy eating habits always start in the home. I've seen first hand with my youngest how much of our example they take in, even at the toddler stage. If kids are given healthy choices, as well as fruits and vegetables from a young age, they are more likely to prefer those types of foods as they grow up and begin to make their own decisions. A few months back we were at a football game and took my almost 4 year old to the snack shack. Out of all the sweets, candy, cookies, chips and everything he decided to buy an apple. I know that's because I cook at home and always incorporate fruits and vegetables in my meals and another thing I do is replace ground meat with ground turkey. I rarely cook with ground beef, and that's something I did pick up at a young age by replacing ground beef with ground turkey.
Help us build a better future for kids!
Why is eating a nutritious breakfast so important for children? A nutritious
breakfast helps growing bodies develop and thrive, and it can have a substantial long-term impact on children’s educational achievement. Children who do not eat a nutritious breakfast have a harder time focusing and staying awake in class, which can seriously affect their future educational and professional success. Starting their day with low-fat healthy protein like Jennie-O Turkey Bacon and Sausage is a great way to help kids grow and succeed inside and outside the classroom!
Jennie-O Turkey bacon and Turkey Breakfast Sausage Links. My kids like to go grocery shopping with me and see how the food I purchase gets turned into meals, and they also help me comparison shop to get the best deals. My almost 4 year old D-Man absolutely loves going to Walmart especially since they've remodeled it into a Super Center Now it has a full selection of meats, dairy, bakery products and produce. He likes to carry his own little basket and add things to it for his own "recipes" that he'll be creating!
Be a champion for kids! Find out ways you can help in your own community to ensure that children are able to get a balanced meal to start their day. My children's school has their own special lunch programs, so I decided to make a donation to Champion for Kids to help children have the resources they need to thrive. Find out what you can do to help as well!
- Canola Oil Cooking Spray
- 1/3 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 2 large eggs
- 5 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons 1% milk
- 4 slices Jennie-O Turkey Bacon
- 4 Whole Wheat Tortillas
- 1/4 cup reduced fat cheese
- 2 tablespoons salsa
Breakfast Wrap Directions:
- In a non stick skillet lightly spray the pan, then saute the onion, bell pepper and spinach.
- In a bowl combine the eggs with egg whites and whisk together with milk.
- Once the spinach has wilted and the bell pepper and onion has softened add the egg mixture.
- Scramble together until eggs form into a scramble, and there is no moisture.
- Cook the bacon as directed. Once cooked crumble into small pieces with the scrambled eggs and vegetables.
- Warm the tortillas, then divide the scrambled eggs into four and spoon into the center of each tortilla.
- Top each tortilla with 1 tablespoon of cheese and some salsa.
- Roll into a wrap and cut in half.
- Serve with fresh fruit, and turkey sausage links on the side.
- Serves 6.
Breakfast Smoothie Ingredients:
- 5 ice cubes
- 2-100 calorie containers of non fat Greek yogurt. I used peach flavor.
- 2 medium bananas
- 1 cup 100% fruit juice, I used Apple-Orange-Pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup pineapples
Breakfast Smoothie Directions:
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Serves 6.